Aims at introducing best industry practices and making budding engineers more employable
•The Advanced Communications Lab is equipped with the latest GSM network with live BTS deployment
•Live CDMA technology demonstration with network establishment
•The Lab will provide a live simulation environment to impart practical technical knowledge to students and faculty of Electronics and Communication Engineering department of Thapar University
Patiala, August 24, 2016: With an aim to enhance the standard of education in our country in line with Government’s vision of DIGITAL INDIA, Videocon Connect, has taken a huge initiative to ensure that students get more practical education, making youth more employable. As part of this initiative, Connect Broadband has established and set up a Videocon Advanced Communication Lab at the Department of Electronics & Communication of Thapar University.
Mr. Arvind Bali, CEO, Connect Broadband and Videocon Telecom and Prof. Prakash Gopalan, Director Thapar University, inaugurated the prestigious lab facility amid students and faculty members today. As technology leaders in the domain, Quadrant Televentures Limited has taken this major initiative for introduction of industry best practices in an effort to make budding engineers more employable.
Videocon Advanced Communication Lab is equipped with the latest technologies like GSM live BTS (Base Transceiver Station), CDMA live BTS (Base Transceiver Station). This would enable the students to experiment on these technologies. Earlier this year MoU was signed between Quadrant Televentures Ltd, operating under brand names of Connect Broadband and Videocon Telecom; and Thapar University, for collaboration in sharing advancements in communication technology. As technology leaders in the domain;
1. A lab in the area of telecommunication namely VIDEOCON ADVANCED COMMUNICATION LAB has been established in the Electronics and Communication Engineering department of Thapar University by Connect Broadband, equipped with latest technologies, for providing a live simulation environment and to impart practical technical knowledge to the students and faculty for Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) Department of Thapar University.
2. It shall help the Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) Department of Thapar University in developing the design facility (in AutoCAD) in the areas of wired and wireless system.
3. Setting up of the lab would benefit the faculty, Under Graduate (UG), Post Graduate (PG) and PhD students for lab experimentation, BE projects, ME / PhD Dissertation in the field of communication.
4. It shall help the industrial training, industrial tour and employment of the Under Graduate, Post Graduate students of ECE department.
5. It shall help in improving the technical skills of the faculty by providing up to date technology development training from time to time.
6. It shall provide hands on experience of live technologies and hence better technical understanding of the same.
7. It shall create the opportunity for university students to work on projects like, RF optimization, Network planning, EMF, Transmission, Broadband (DSL) etc.
8. It shall also impart the students to use the lab for exploring new and fresh innovative ideas and support for the same will be provided by Connect Broadband.
9. It shall also provide the knowledge regarding FTTH based Access Technology devices, GSM live BTS (Base Transceiver Station), CPEs & Routers and CDMA
This arrangement is on Non-commercial basis.
Speaking on the inauguration ceremony, Mr Arvind Bali, CEO, Connect Broadband and Videocon Telecom said, “We strongly believe that industry and academia have to work closely to establish centres of excellence. In international markets this has been the trend and we want to lead this culture in India as well. These engineering students are going to be the drivers of technology in future. We strongly believe that it is our responsibility to expose them to the technological developments around the globe. We have taken this initiative to ensure closer coordination with one of the most prestigious university in the region.”
“This is the fourth such lab set up by QTL (Connect Broadband & Videocon Telecom). Earlier the company has already established an advanced technology lab in Chitkara University, Punjab Engineering College and Chandigarh University. Plans for setting up more labs are in the project phase. In the next 12 months Connect and Videocon propose to establish 10 more such labs in all the leading engineering institutes. An investment of Rs 5 Cr has been earmarked for the same”, added Mr. Bali.
Prof. Prakash Gopalan, Director Thapar University said, “We appreciate Videocon Connect for this initiative. It will help our students keep pace with the technological advancements in Communication Engineering. I am sure the students and the faculty will gain immensely from the interaction with the business group”.