Why Homemade Bug Spray?We all are fed up of these pesky bugs at our homes, and have tried all the bug sprays available in the stores to get rid of them. Some work, some don’t, but all of them contain chemicals which are harmful even for us humans. If you have little children at home then you should definitely not use these chemical products to keep bugs at bay.
Chemicals like DEET which is present in many store bought Bug repellents is very harmful for humans. One of the most widely used ingredient in commercial bug sprays is DEET which works to repel the bugs and not kill it. DEET is known to cause eye irritation, rashes, soreness, or blistering. DEET is also linked to causing many neurological problems. A Research conducted at Duke University Medical Center has found that DEET causes diffuse brain cell death and behavioral changes in rats.
Now that we know how harmful the store bought bug sprays are, Read on to see how we can use some everyday household items to make some amazing natural bug sprays that work at home. These Natural homemade bug spray recipe are easy to make and takes just seconds to make them.
How to make an Essential Oil Bug Spray (Recipe)This amazing scenting all natural homemade essential oil bug spray uses essential oils, which are known to be very effective in repelling bugs. This bug spray is suppose to be used on clothing and not directly on the skin as it may cause skin irritation in children when applied directly.
Homemade Essential Oil Bug Spray Ingredients
- You can use any of these Essential oils: Lemongrass, Cajeput, Citronella, Clove, Rosemary, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, Cedar, Catnip, Mint, Lavender
- Natural Witch Hazel
- Boiled Water
- Vegetable glycerin if you have at hand, it works without it also.
Homemade Essential Oil Bug Spray Instructions
- Add the boiled water in a spray bottle till it’s 1/2 full
- Now to this Add witch hazel and fill almost to the brim
- Add 1/2 tsp vegetable glycerin if you have
- Finally Add 30-50 drops of essential oils from the list above. The essential oils are an essential part of this bug spray, so more the oil, stronger is the spray.
How to Make Bug Spray From Dried or Fresh Herbs
Homemade Fresh or Dried Herbs Bug Spray Ingredients
- boiled water
- Witch hazel or you can also use rubbing alcohol
- The Dried herbs that you can choose from are: spearmint, peppermint, lemongrass, citronella, lavender, catnip, etc.
Homemade Fresh or Dried Herbs Bug Spray Instructions
- To make this amazing all natural bug spray you need 1 cup of boiled water and to that add 3-4 tablespoons of any of the dried herbs you can also add a combination from the above.
- Now Mix the herbs well in water, cover this water and herb mixture and let it cool.
- Lastly using a strainer strain the herbs out and mix a cup of witch hazel or rubbing alcohol in the water. Store this homemade natural bug spray in a spray bottle in the refrigerator.
- This amazing bug spray is also very refreshing to the skin and keeps it moisturized as well.
Super Strong Insect Repellent RecipeThis is a very strong bug repellent but this bug repellent is very stinky when this solution is wet, the smell of this bug spray tends to disappears as it dries. This bug repellent works very well to keep bugs and insects at bay, this is very effective way to repel insects like ticks and mosquitoes when you go camping outdoors.
Homemade Super Strong Insect Repellent Ingredients
- 32 ounces of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 tablespoon each of dried Sage, Rosemary, Lavender, Thyme and Mint
- A glass jar with airtight lid
How to Make Homemade Super Strong Insect Repellent
- Take the glass jar and put the cider vinegar and dried herbs into it.
- Seal the jar tightly and store it in a cool dry place. Make sure to Shake the jar well everyday for the next 2-3 weeks.
- Using a strainer to strain out the herbs and store it in a spray bottle and keep it in the fridge.
- When you are using it on the skin make sure to dilute it with water in a spray bottle and use it.
- Use whenever you are planning to go camping or in the woods.
Other Simple Insect Repelling Ideas
- One of the fun way to keep bugs away from your kids is to use those non-toxic, plastic-free insect-repelling bands available in the market and are very effective.
- Adding vanilla extract to any of these natural homemade bug repellents gives them a wonderful smell. Mixing vanilla with witch hazel and water can also be used for a spray version.
- You can also grow lavender, thyme, mint and citronella near your window area and gardens, as these plants are known to be natural insect repellents.
- You can also alternatively Rub lavender flowers or lavender oil on your skin to keep insects at bay.
- Basil also works amazingly to repel mosquitoes..