India 4 November 2016: Kitchen is a bonding area that not only ties your home together but also your loved ones. It is where the meals are created – which fuels the bodies, minds and souls of friends and families. Kitchen is not a sedate, quiet room rather it is filled with energy, aroma and texture. For most families, the kitchen serves as the central of the home and a second family room. Everyone seems to ‘Gather in the Kitchen’.
Ms. Aarti Sareen
Spending more time in your kitchen could also benefit your health and the health of your family. According to one Cambridge study, your longevity increases when you cook at home more frequently.
As the kitchen forms an integral part of the house, the science of Vastu can guide us to enhance the aura and tranquillity of the kitchen, It lays down certain basic rules for the design of the kitchen and prescribes a place for everything in it, as well as the rules for the person cooking the meal to ensure a healthy and happy life.
Following given are some of the Ideal Directions/Locations for Kitchen and other related Accessories:
The Kitchen: The ruling planet of the Kitchen is said to be Venus, while Fire is kitchen's ruling element.
Best direction for it is the South-East corner of the house as it is governed by the element of fire. If it is not possible then the northwest corner of the house is also good. Ensure that your kitchen doesn’t share a wall with the bathroom. In multi-storey buildings, it is important that the kitchen is never made below a bathroom or pooja room.
Colours: The colour of the floor and the walls of the kitchen may be yellow, orange, rose, chocolate or red. However, as far as possible, black should be avoided.
The Cooking Gas/Stove: It too should be in the South-East direction. The reason for that is in older days cooking was done on earthen cooking stove usually placed outside the house and building materials used were combustible in nature. The cooking fire was preferred in South east corner or the north west corner to avoid hot summer wind blowing from the south west or north east directions.
Cooking Direction: As the women get busy with kitchen chores from early morning, they don’t get a chance to get exposed to the health morning sun rays. So the best solution was to make them cook facing east direction.
Dining Table: If there is a dining table in the kitchen, it should be placed in the North-West or West direction.
Sinks and Taps: They indicate flowing water and should be placed in the north-east direction i.e., away from the cooking stove as fire and water repel each other. In earlier days, when water for washing purposes was stored in open vessels, it was preferred in the N-E corner where the morning UV rays would kill the germs and keep the water and the surrounding are purified.
Dishwasher: It can be placed in the north west direction.
Windows: Larger windows in the kitchen should be made on the Eastern wall. Additional smaller windows can be in the South, for cross-ventilation as there is a lot of cooking fumes and odours, cross ventilation will ensure that the hot air exit out of the house and get replaced with fresh air from outside.
Electronic Appliances: Like; refrigerator, geyser, microwave etc. should be placed in the south east or south direction in the kitchen.
Cylinder: It should be placed in the Southeast corner.
Storage Cupboards: The storage for all the food grains, utensils, the over head cupboard should always be on the southern and the western walls, never on northern and the eastern walls.
Drinking water: Vessels like water filter, bottles, Jugs etc. should be placed in the north or north-east side.
• The kitchen at night should be well cleaned and used utensils should be washed before sleeping. In order to harness the positive energy and the right vibes for your kitchen, it would be necessary for the kitchen to be spotless and clean, as much as possible. A dirty kitchen can interfere with work habits, reduce a person's chances of making good food; it can also suck your energy and make you less active.
SOME USEFUL REMEDIES:
• There should be no leaking taps in the kitchen as it signifies loss of wealth.
• A zero watt red coloured light bulb can be put up on the south east wall of the kitchen for financial growth.
• A basket full of original/artificial fruits should be placed in the northern side of the kitchen as it shows abundance.
• Place a vase of flowers/living plant on your kitchen table or windowsill as fresh flowers bring beautiful uplifting energy to your kitchen.
• It is good to have a lot of green colour in the kitchen like green granite for flooring or green pictures, as this helps improve the appetite of the family members and are thought to be soothing, like a rainforest.
• The kitchen is the best place for having meals especially with all the family members. It harbours feelings of happiness and harmony.
• The kitchen should have several levels of proper lighting, be airy and spacious, clean, bright and welcoming.
• The kitchen should be simple and not overloaded with gadgets.
(Profile: Smt. Aarti Sareen, Vedia Astrologer, Chandigarh
Smt. Aarti Sareen has completed her Bachelors, Masters & M. Phil in Commerce and has been a Gold Medalist throughout her academic life. Thereafter, she served as a lecturer in the reputed colleges of Chandigarh. She is also a very talented artist and specializes in oil paintings & pencil sketches. : Her interest in the field of Astrology was kindled due to her ever inquisitive nature to learn more. She joined a professional course in Astrology and by its end she was fully confident that she has found the purpose of her life.
Her expertise lie in Predictive Astrology (Phalit Jyotish) and Medical Astrology, using the principles and concepts given by Sage Parashara. She provides astrological consultation regarding; education, career & professional growth, marriage, childbirth, finances, property, foreign travel and health issues)